Overview: Intuitive Surgical is facing another lawsuit over its da Vinci surgical robot, alleging that the surgical system left an Alabama woman with serious injuries after receiving a hysterectomy. Earlier this month, a father also sued over the robot after his 24 year old daughter died two weeks after having a hysterectomy.
- Two lawsuits pending against Intuitive Surgical over da Vinci hysterectomy
- The suit filed earlier this month alleges that the system burned the artery and intestines of a 24 year old who died two weeks after the surgery
- The latest lawsuit alleges that the robot significantly damaged a woman’s left ureter and bladder; plaintiffs are seeking $490 million
- Questions are being raised about whether surgeons are properly trained in using the device
Product: da Vinci Surgical System
Manufacturer: Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
Potential Complications Include Tears and Burns to:
- Blood vessels
- Vaginal cuff dehiscence (re-opening of vaginal incision after hysterectomy)